Kevin saw today’s scrimmage in person and gave his best blow-by-blow recap of the day’s proceedings. That’s followed by audio from DeAndre’ Bembry, Lloyd Pierce, Trae Young, John Collins, Omari Spellman, Tyler Dorsey and Kevin Huerter.
Our guest today is Josh Longstaff, head coach of the Erie Bayhawks, the G League affiliate for the Atlanta Hawks. We talk about Erie, his work at the Hawks pre-draft workouts, being an assistant coach for USA’s team trying to qualify for the World Championship, and his various stops as an NBA assistant coach.
Tyler and I weigh in on all aspects of the Draft: the rookies, the long-term outlook of the franchise, the prospects for the Dallas pick, and how the draftees impact some current players on the roster.
Tyler Jones jumps on to discuss the Hawks *other* three picks. We run through some picks that we’d like to see and some others that we wouldn’t. Includes audio from the two players Tyler would like to see picked at #19.
(Spoiler: It’s Tyler Jones.)
Tyler and I talk about next week’s NBA Draft and we mock out the first three picks of the draft in two ways: 1) How we think it will turn out, and 2) How it would turn out if Tyler was in charge of all three teams.
Sandy Mui joined me to talk about everything related to the Brooklyn Nets.
I need your help.
- Part of that is that the second half of the Hawks season wasn’t great discussion fodder.
- Part of that was having five other jobs. (Don’t ask.)
- Part of it is that I really like pickup basketball and spending time with my kids (in some order).
- Someone who can carry on an informed, amusing, conversation about the Hawks and the NBA at-large
- Someone willing to split the tech duties of producing the podcast
- Experience is preferred, but not necessary
- Contact information (Name, number, e-mail)
- Podcast experience and/or podcast sample, or something else to indicate you’re the person to do it
- Any relevant education
- Why you’re interested and what you’re interested in making out of this
And that’s it. If you’re interested, thank you for your interest!
In this episode, I made Brad pick over/unders on numbers like the Denver Nuggets’ win total, Kyrie’s points per game, Joel Embiid’s rebounds and Chris Paul’s assists. We also hear a clip from Atlanta Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer on his approach to utilizing young players.
A sampling of the more interesting quotes and stories from the Atlanta Hawks’ media day and training camp. Soundbites include Travis Schlenk, Mike Budenholzer, Tyler Dorsey, Kent Bazemore, Nico Brussino, Ersan Ilyasova, and Dennis Schroder.
We talk to G-League expert Adam Johnson of 2 Ways & 10 Days about the Erie BayHawks, their recent expansion draft, and the two G-Leaguers recently signed by the Hawks: Quinn Cook and Josh Magette.
BONUS: We also spoke to Erie BayHawks General Manager Malik Rose about the tryout that the BayHawks held in Atlanta and the challenges strategies of assembling a G-League roster.